Weathers and Exercising

There are various seasons all over the world and they so differ even as our location differs. Each of the seasons comes with a weather and of course they are useful for different purposes and also act as an indicator for various things to do. For example, some are very good for planting why some indicate the time for harvest.

In Nigeria we have 2 major seasons i.e. the dry season and the wet/rainy season. There are still some slight differences between the southern and the northern part of the country, [I am so in-between the two parts, some parts of my state tend more to the north and some part has all the characteristics of the south]. I will do a small analysis:

Southern Nigerian Seasons:
 - The Long Rainy Season - This starts in March and ends in July with a peak in June and can be excessively wet in some areas deep south
- The Short Dry Season - This happens within a short period of 3-4 weeks in the month of August [August Break].
- The Short Rainy Season - This period follows the "August Break" i.e. from early September to mid-October. This period is not always as heavy as the long rainy season.
- The Long Dry Season - This period starts from late October and lasts to early March with peak dry conditions between early December and late February. The period witnesses the prevailing influences of the dry and dusty north-east winds, as well as the 'harmattan' conditions.

Temperatures:
The rainy season of Nigeria brings in cooler weather to the country as a result of an increased cloud cover that acts as a blockage to the intense sunshine of the tropics by blocking much of the suns rays in the rainy season; this in turn cools the land, and the winds above the ground remains cool thereby making for cooler temperatures during the rainy season. But afternoons in the rainy season can be hot and humid, a feature of tropical climates.

The dry season of Nigeria is a period of little cloud cover in the southern part of Nigeria to virtually no cloud cover in the northern part of Nigeria. The sun shines through the atmosphere with little obstructions from the clear skies making the dry season in Nigeria a period of warm weather conditions. In the middle of the dry season around December, a dusty wind from the Sahara Desert called the harmattan enters Nigeria from the northeastern part of the country blocking sun rays partially from shining and also creating haze in the atmosphere, this activities of the wind lowers temperatures considerably saving inhabitants for sometime, from the scorching heat that would have occurred as a result of clearer skies during the dry season. But with the withdrawal of this wind around March to April following the onset of the rainy season, temperatures can go as high as 44 °C (111.2 °F) in some parts of Nigeria [culled from Wikipedia]

I realized that I personally lose weight more during the rainy seasons because I exercise well under a cool condition and not when the weather is hot. The humidity is higher at some point and I have realized that my morale is automatically lower.

Exercise is more sweaty and tiring when the weather is hot. I love the cooler weathers and the highest I could do is to utilize it well while it lasts. I think the hot muscle uses more energy working than the cooler one, not sure of that. But I naturally feel a little more tired when the weather is hotter. I am really thinking of getting a fan [just for workouts] so that I can get in more minutes during the humid weathers and I will not be jeopardized for any reason. Or shift my entire exercise routine to morning time.

Last night was one of such hot days but I still got 70 minutes in which was an achievement.

I was like this when I finished:



How does your weather affect your workouts?

Comments